[lbo-talk] Goodwill hunting

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Mar 13 21:49:35 PDT 2008

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> BTW, thrift stores can thrive mainly thanks to the
> much derided consumerism of the Amerikan yuppies who
> dread the idea of being seen in the last season's
> clothes. I think yuppie females are consummed by such
> silly passions to a far greater degree than yuppie
> males, hence the diffciulty of finding good quality
> men's clothes in thrift stores.

All very true, but I would check out other thrift stores because in my experience, the opposite has been the case: slim pickings for women's stuff and really, really good stuff for men's stuff.

Oh, and take a look in the silverware bin while you're at it. Last year I ran out of teaspoons and couldn't find any respectable store that just sold teaspoons. So I went to the local Goodwill where they have a silverware bin that holds an assortment of cutlery for a flat 25 cents a piece. On that particular day, the cutlery bin held a complete set of Oneida silver plate cutlery in a simple Tudor design. I mean complete: butter knife, serving spoons, the works....each item neatly wrapped in a little plastic pouch. I bought the lot for $19.25.

Goodwill hunting!

Joanna