[lbo-talk] computer jerks

SergioL652 at aol.com SergioL652 at aol.com
Fri Mar 14 15:59:48 PDT 2008

Even though I am fairly computer literate and have build several computers from scratch I was not able to get Ubuntu to work because it did not have a driver for my wireless card. Of course, since I could not connect to the Internet, I had to logout from Ubuntu, switch to Windows, search for the driver, discover that to install the driver, I had to type 20 lines of code, switch back to Ubuntu, write the 20 lines of code, find out it didn't work, get out of Ubuntu, back to Windows, search for driver, find another 20 lines of code, rinse repeat for three day, give up, find out I can't uninstall Ubuntu, live with the dual boot, although only Windows works, so any time I reboot, I end up in Ubuntu, which I cannot use so logout of Ubuntu, reboot boot to Windows, etc. So forgive me if I don't sing the praise of Ubuntu. Maybe I'm just stupid.

In a message dated 3/13/2008 10:44:49 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, lbo4 at beyondzero.net writes:

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 07:00:45AM -0700, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> So inasmuch as I loathe Micro$oft products, I simply
> have very little choice here in this land of free
> choice. I would love to buy an open source (Linux)
> machine machine, especially that they are cheaper than
> either PCs or Macs, but I simply have no time or
> inclination to deal with software setup problems all
> the time - I use computers as tools, means to an end,
> not an end in itself. I am trying to avoid "looking
> under the hood" as much as possible - be it cars or
> computers.

It sounds like you are already "dealing with software setup problems all the time" by using Windows.

Try http://www.ubuntu.com/

The arrogance you described is a result of the culture of the Microsoft behemoth. In the Windows world the Microserfs are merely adopting the position of their demigod Gates - you will use the computer *exactly* how they tell you to. And you will like it.

I am a recent convert to Ubuntu on the desktop and I would say the true believers are right: this is the Linux your grandma can use. On my laptop the following all worked with absolutely no configuration:

* Wireless Networking * Web, Email, IM, etc. * Connecting via usb to my camera * Connecting via bluetooth to my phone (!) * Connecting portable storage, like usb drives * Free media playback (audio: mp3, flac, shorten, wav; video: mpeg, divx, etc.) * Media authoring (cds, dvds, etc.)

Non-free media playback required going to a website to download the "illegal" packages - particularly the DeCSS decryption for commercial DVDs. But that is all plainly explained in the Ubuntu Forums and took about 2 minutes.

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 yahoo msg: beyondzero123 http://blogdayafternoon.com

The true method of knowledge is experiment. -William Blake