[lbo-talk] Dean Baker: Harsh words on US govt bailout of Bear Stearns

Sean Johnson Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 09:39:14 PDT 2008

Eric wrote:
>> http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/beat_the_press_archive?month=03&year=2008&base_name=the_nyt_hides_the_bailout_of_b
>>
>> The NYT Hides the Bailout of Bear Stearns From Readers
>>

> I'm sorry, but all this heavy breathing -- and the heaviest breather
> of them all, Greg Palast, has his bout of hyperventilation here
> <http://www.gregpalast.com/elliot-spitzer-gets-nailed/> -- is pretty
> ridiculous. I mean, is anyone really surprised by this? I would say
> only leftist intellectuals are. Most people know that the state is
> merely fulfilling its function. Duh.

True but I also think these commentators are under the impression that there might be some people in the general public who don't realize this yet and think it might be one of the things that makes mad enough to not take it anymore. It seems reasonable and I think the Palast piece makes a good broader point, a version of which might be that it would actually have been better for everyone in the long run if we not only legalized prostitution but made prostitutes available to Spitzer if he'd continue going after the people who helped precipitate the meltdown.