[lbo-talk] Dalai Lama Won’t Stop Tibet Protests

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sun Mar 16 17:47:42 PDT 2008

He calls himself a Marxist Buddhist. No doubt at all which, for the Chinese rulers, is worse.

(NYT, March 16, 2008) "...The Dalai Lama, for his part, seemed unfazed about the dissent among Tibetans over full independence versus greater autonomy. Even his elder brother, he recalled, had admonished him many years ago for not advocating independence from China. “ ‘My dear younger brother, the Dalai Lama,’ ” his brother told him. “ ‘You sold out the Tibetan legitimate right. Like that.’ ”

The Dalai Lama described dissent as “a healthy sign of our commitment to democracy, open society.”

Chuckling, he added that the idea might come as “a surprise to our Chinese brothers and sisters.”

He described himself as a Marxist Buddhist, quoted Mao Tse Tung’s endorsement of dissent in the party..."