[lbo-talk] help with Vista

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 16 20:20:04 PDT 2008

I recently discovered another amazing feature of this fucking piece if shit Vista - it disappears files. For example, a pdf file is created by an apllication, and when I try to copy that file using Windows Explorer, I get a message that the folder where the file is located is empty. The file exists somewhere on the machine, it just cannot be found using Windows Explorer.

After struggling with this for a while, I finally learned that this extremely annoying feature is due to "virtualization" i.e. files being stored in an obscure sub-folder called "virtual store" instead of the folder in which it was supposed to be stored. The file temporarily appears only when an obscure file compatibility button is pressed, and disappears again when the Explorer is closed and reopened.

What the fuck is going on here? What is the purpose of this virtualization idiocy and how to disable this cretinous feature?

I understand that Vista is an exceptional piece of shit and Microsoft gangsters should be sent to reeducation camps if not beheaded for their arrogance - but this is what I am stuck with for a while, and spending over $1000 for a new computer that runs some alternative to Vista OS is not an option for me at the moment. So I would greatly appreciate any help making this piece of shit behaving more predictable, so I can fnd files where I want them to be instead where some Microsoft hack thinks they should be.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs