[lbo-talk] populist eruptions

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Mon Mar 17 12:33:11 PDT 2008

> Bear refused to take part in the LTCM rescue ten years ago, which is unusual, since most firms don't want to alienate the central bank. I wonder if the Fed didn't have a little revenge on its mind. Doug

A similar hit was done on Continental Illinois, when it was supposedly nationalized in 1984; and in 1988 some trade union/community groups used the Community Reinvestment Act agin' 'em - and the Fed stunned everyone by agreeing that Continental had violated CRA and would not get permission to expand its branch network to Arizona.