[lbo-talk] Weird statement at The Nation's website

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 19:24:44 PDT 2008

The govt. still can't even "bail out" a lot of the people who lost homes in Katrina, let alone those who lost them in Hurricane Subprime.

Bush even joked about the Katrina fuck-up in his Gridiron Press Club song -- oh, you kill me, Dubya! -- and it's optimistic to think the govt. that can't help homeowners in New Orleans can do anything to help homeowners who were victims of the subprime mess.

Why isn't the media reporting more on the working class anger about this? Or informing them to get them mad as hell, as they should be? And -- why aren't left blogs reporting on it!? Can't the unions step in and do something? Take advantage of this bleak turn to organize, as we wish they'd done post-Enron/Worldcom/Tyco, when record numbers of people self-reported they'd love to be a union right about then? And when organied labor failed to connect up to them?

And why are libloggers still myopically focused on dumb intra-Dem Party horse race details and basically ignoring this urgent issue? This could be a major organizing point for some class warfare; or, rather, for organizing against the class warfare the business community is waging on working people. But it isn't. A lot of left bloggers would rather discuss the Dem Party horse race, Elliott Spitzer, etc. No class war analysis.

Dailykos, Digby, Pandagon, Atrios -- I'm talking about them. None of these blogs are writing much about this; instead it's all "Here's Reason #253 Hillary is a vicious hypocrite and needs to stand aside for Inevitable Destiny Man" or "Reason #234 the GOP are hypocrites for attacking Spitzer." There is no sense of outrage or ferment over the bail out/subprime situation.

-B.

W. Kiernan wrote:

"But who in Hell is suggesting that the government bail out any of the people getting evicted? Nobody's going to 'spend hundreds of billions to prevent millions of people from being thrown out of their homes.'"