[lbo-talk] Obama: vain entitled narcissistic prick

Michael McIntyre mcintyremichael at mac.com
Tue Mar 18 06:22:12 PDT 2008

I'm on board with BAR's analysis of Barack Obama, but this column by Fournier is beyond the pale. Read all the say to the last few paragraphs and you find Fournier admitting that HC suffers from all of these character flaws in equal or greater degree, but - here comes the oldest dodge in the book - "Voters won't cut Obama as much slack on the humility test..." Translation: Fournier has decided to use a double standard, then attribute the double standard to "voters" rather than to himself. Better translation: "You expect this sort of thing from the rich North Shore girl, but those people are just uppity."

The problem with Obama is not that he's vain and narcissistic (find a candidate who isn't). The problem is that he will throw overboard every decent thing he's ever done or believed for political advantage. I think quite awhile ago Doug said that HC could be counted on to know the better and choose the worse. That sounds to me like a better description of Obama. HC might - might! - in some cases choose the better because she knows her enemies won't be placated.

MM