[lbo-talk] Jeremiah Wright or Wrong?

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 11:35:02 PDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Dennis Claxton <ddclaxton at earthlink.net> wrote:

> At 10:04 AM 3/18/2008, Jerry wrote:
>

> >I wish somebody would explain to me the outrage over what Jeremiah Wright
> >has said in his sermons.
>

> He said "goddam america" and it's been on tv:
>
> <http://patterico.com/2008/03/14/jeremiah-god-damn-america-wright-has-formal-role-in-obama-campaign-and-plays-significant-role-in-his-life/>

Don't right wing preachers say this every day? I am thinking of all those preachers who blamed Katrina on gays in New Orleans and said that God damned New Orleans because it embraced homosexuality. Isn't McCain courting those preachers now?

But point taken. You can't be angry at the United States today, in the way that Mark Twain was, and get away with it, unless you are condemning people to death who are "marginal" and not "really" United Statesians -- gays, people of color, atheists. But if you are one of those not "really" United Statsians then a right-wing preacher can say that God should wipe you from the face of the earth. And the right-wing preacher can be a sought after endorsement.

Jerry