[lbo-talk] populist eruptions

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 12:59:47 PDT 2008

> On Mar 18, 2008, at 11:36 AM, Andy F wrote:
>
> > What's preventing that now? Aside from starting
> capital?
>
> Exactly that.

[WS:] Hmmm. AFAIK, opening a credit union or a cooperative housing is not that difficult, if there is interest. I know a whole bunch of coops that received federal funding, and I do not understand why a nonporfit corporation cannot get a private loan to purchase real estate. When I lived in Santa Cruz, CA there was a credit union open to all residents of the city. I also understand that unions and large nonprofits operate credit unions as well.

Quite frankly, I think the problem is not bottlenecks on the supply side, but lack of interest on the demand size. Too many 'Muricans hope to make like bandits on stox or selling their homes and do not give a shit about alternative banking, savings or housing options.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs