[lbo-talk] Recommended Reading

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 18 13:52:44 PDT 2008

On Mar 18, 2008, at 4:23 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:

> Now, be fair Doug--you highlighted the worst line in the speech. A
> lot
> of it didn't suck.

I follow Slavoj Zizek in arguing that sometimes quoting things out of context really does reveal the speaker's deepest intentions - that context is often used to dress up or disguise.

But in any case, you're right that some parts of the speech didn't suck. (My college class listserv, which I use as a guide to the thinking of the liberal PMC, is falling all over itself in love with the speech.) He is a very smart guy and skilled politician. I don't know that it changed any minds though.

Doug