[lbo-talk] Recommended Reading

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 18 16:31:29 PDT 2008

He's snake-hipping his way around several obstacles here (notably those thrown up in a particularly disgusting column by Pat Buchanan this week <http://www.theamericancause.org/>).

Primarily it's an enactment of the Great Substitution of this year's presidential campaign -- identity politics elbows aside any discussion of actual USG policies -- and an invocation of "unity" (because there are no real contradictory interests in our society). Forget wars, actual and contemplated, and real economic distress -- the only question is, Are you a racist or a misogynist?

He comes out firmly against racism (what courage) but even more firmly against remarks by his pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright. He does a pretty good imitation of Prince Hal ditching Falstaff. Then he turns to one of the most offensive mixings of politics and religion that I've heard this season -- enlisting Christianity in support of his accommodationist policies.

His goal is strenuously to repudiate the only insightful (or even accurate) things said about foreign policy by anyone in his campaign -- Rev. Wright's remarks. They're "a profoundly distorted view of this country," Obama says -- such as that "the conflicts in the Middle East [are] rooted primarily in the actions of stalwart allies like Israel," for shame! [Who are the "stalwart allies like Israel"? Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Turkey et al., I suppose.] Of course everybody knows that the pillage and murder in the Middle East come "from the perverse and hateful ideologies of radical Islam." [Remember how radical Islam invaded Iraq and killed a million people? Then it invaded Lebanon, then Gaza...]

Read it and weep. --CGE