[lbo-talk] Jeremiah Wright or Wrong?

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 19 05:49:48 PDT 2008

Max B. Sawicky wrote:
> In other words, Obama's problem here is that he is not willing to lose
> 49 states
> in a general election.
>

>> John Thornton already did in a roundabout way. That is, he said that he'd
>> appreciate obama more if obama stood up and said, "yeah, everything wright
>> says is right on".
Not exactly. What I said was: "I'd love to see Obama retract his comment about Blacks being 90% equal with whites and take Wrights side and just admit we have still have more than a little bit of work to do before race ceases to be a serious problem in the US. I doubt that will happen however. Seeing the videos offered it gave me a better feeling about Obama in one way. He wouldn't have associated with this church for so long if it didn't mirror some of his beliefs. Maybe he really has the potential to be a traitor to the ruling class? His selection of advisers strongly suggests otherwise but I understand why some hold such a hope.

I doubt it will happen because it would be political suicide. Note, nothing in the above is an attack on Obama. No one here has attacked Obama but rather Obamamania. As someone else already said this demonstrates he'll do what it takes to win even if it means rejecting core beliefs. I don't hold him to any higher (lower?) standard than Clinton. What I object to is starry-eyed praise of Obama. He's just another fucking Dem.not a progressive. He's less fucking progressive than Edwards was and that's not saying much.

If you want to say health-care mandates are meaningless and so you prefer Obama to Clinton that's fine. If you want to say you oppose a moratorium on foreclosures and so prefer Obama to Clinton, fine again. If you want to effuse about how Obama doesn't "worship" money like Clinton or is the morally superior candidate or is more progressive then you will be called on this bullshit.

Incidentally while he didn't retract his offensive 90% comment he did as good a job yesterday with dealing with the Wright comments as anyone could. He did mention we still have serious race issues to deal with but he made Wrights anger seem like a relic of another time rather than a good assessment of current conditions.

Obama could have attended any of millions of churches. He chose Wrights. Then he chose to try to distance himself. This is typical of any politician offering further proof Obama is simply "any politician" not something new and wonderful.

I seem to recall the Clinton's doing a lot of community organizing in the 1970's and early 1980's long before being on Wal-Mart's board didn't they Max?

John Thornton