[lbo-talk] Obama's Philadelphia race speech and the American Creed

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Mar 19 07:34:17 PDT 2008

On Wed, 19 March 2008, Doug Henwood wrote:

> It's completely within the paradigm of the wretched American
> constitutional system. All that balance of powers crap, which was
> designed to limit popular power, has massively succeed in creating a
> deeply conservative polity. The alleged re-interpretation is still
> entirely within the paradigm.

Of course. Whatever we do, no matter how radical, will involve reinterpreting the fundamental law of the land -- unless we have a violent revolution and write a new one. You haven't given up that dream? Because the dream that we'll do something outside the paradigm, that doesn't involve reinterpreting it but rather replacing it, is part and parcel of the same dream. Give up one, give up the other.

Michael