[lbo-talk] Jeremiah Wright or Wrong?

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Wed Mar 19 09:28:55 PDT 2008

>>> "Jerry Monaco"

Yes for some reason that was left out of the initial New York Times article that I read also. But again it wasn't quite my question why "liberals" had to denounce Wriight but more about the way the man is being treated by the mainstrean as "unusual" as if his words don't resonate among a large portion (most?) of the black community. It is as if the mainstream media has never heard a black preacher before.

That's why I think it is mostly a pretence, the shock and the rage. It is an act. (But maybe I am wrong which is why I was asking what Doug obviously considers a question to stupid to ask.) As I said, there is an aspect of this affair, that is more about putting Obama through "the ritual" to prove he is "American" than it is about Wright.I thnk Obama was more savvy in recognizing the dance of this ritual than most suspect "UnAmericans".

But still what of my other questions. Has any leftist written an analysis of the affair so far? Has any leftist written a defense of Wright or at least recognized the tradition that Wright has come from?

Jerry

^^^^ CB: Jerry, I think you are asking good questions. You might be a good leftist to write the essay you ask for.

Interesting that in exceptions to the mainstream media norm, Chris Mathews and Keith Ober had shows on this yesterday that were _not _typical of the media's willful blindness about the White elephant of racism sitting in America's living room.

Most White Americans just are not going to be able to hear Wright's just criticism's of the US. That's just a fact that we anti-racist fighters have learned to be true from years of arguing and speaking like Wright. So, nothing wrong with trying something new, when that doesn't work. O is talking about racism in a way that some ( not all) White Americans are able to listen and hear him (See Mathews and Ober shows). It's a _change_ in anti-racist struggle tactics. It's having some success.

Anyway, your basic thrust on this thread is very progressive, and a role that one segment of white leftists should play in this complex concrete struggle. We have a division of labor in this struggle. Some play a role like you. Some like Mathews and Ober.