[lbo-talk] Scalia, Supreme Court Justice of Torture

J. Tyler unspeakable.one at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 21:25:22 PDT 2008

Bill Bartlett wrote:

> Yes, using torture you can get most people to confess anything, say
> anything, that you want them to say. The problem is, you can get most
> people to confess anything, say anything, that you want them to say.
> At best, no use whatsoever.
>
> However, once it is known that you Americans use torture as a
> policing tool, no-one can have the least confidence in your system of
> justice. Decent people will have nothing to do with you at all, they
> won't co-operate, they won't provide you information and of course
> they will hate you. This will last a long time. ...

> Courts used to accept these blatantly false confessions without
> blinking an eye. No need to bother with torture. Though that
> sometimes went on in the cop shop as well. Which brings up another
> point, what's the benefit of making torture legal, as you Americans
> have done? It doesn't need to be legal, only idiots would try to
> justify it officially. Just do it and pretend you aren't.
>
> But you aren't even pretending. The height of arrogance and stupidity.

You speak as if the Australian government cares. How about we not pretend there's any difference between what the U.S. government does and what yours will adhere to? Because there isn't. Our crimes are your crimes. If you think it should be otherwise, I'd suggest you get an army together and show both of our government's what's what. I'll be on board, but until then...