[lbo-talk] Scalia, Supreme Court Justice of Torture

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 07:44:44 PDT 2008

--- Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The effectiveness or lack thereof of torture is an
> emprical question. Is there data?

[WS:] Absolutely. This was precisely my point - it is impossible to determine this a priori, because there are compelling arguments for and against that effectiveness. What such a priori argument often demonstrate, however, is intellectual dishonesty of the proponent. BTW, I am not talking about you, Jordan, as I did comprehend your own position. I just responded to an argument that you quoted.

Going back to the empirical question - I am afraid that such questions cannot be answered becaosue of th elack of comparable data. Response to torture is very idiosyncratic and dependent on a multitude of factors.

To control for these factors, you would need to have a great number of observations, and moreover, observations on the hypothesized counterfactual i.e. effects of alternative means, everything else being equal. Assembling such a data set would be extremely difficult, if at al possible.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ