[lbo-talk] Scalia, Supreme Court Justice of Torture

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Mar 20 09:05:08 PDT 2008

On Mar 20, 2008, at 10:44 AM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> --- Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> The effectiveness or lack thereof of torture is an
>> emprical question. Is there data?
>>

> [WS:] Absolutely. This was precisely my point - it is
> impossible to determine this a priori, because there
> are compelling arguments for and against that
> effectiveness.

I thought that military and intelligence professionals frown on torture - it's ineffective and produces a lot of false leads (people will say anything to get you to stop), and they don't want the precedent of others doing it to our guys. It's only vicarious macho hotshots like Mitt Romney that cheer it on. Am I wrong on this?

Doug