[lbo-talk] Scalia, Supreme Court Justice of Torture

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 09:40:37 PDT 2008

--- Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

> I continue to be amazed by the inability or
> unwillingness of so many on
> this list to acknow3ledge that the u.s. is a
> criminal state.*
>
> Carrol
>
> P.S. I am of course equally amazed by the inability
> of some (e.g. D.
> Redmond) to recognize that the European Union,
> Japan, Australia etc are
> _also_ criminal states, and that given power equal
> to the U.S. would of
> course equal it in savagery.

[WS:] If every state is dubbed "criminal," then the term loses any meaning. You can as well say "every state is blah." Criminality can be defined only as an exception to the norm or rule of law - if it becomes the norm, it ceases to be criminality.

But the semantic issues aside - EU states or Japan have not invaded or bombed anyone during our life time - the US has on numerous occassions. Claiming that this makes no difference and all of them are the same is pure demagoguery.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping