[lbo-talk] Scalia, Supreme Court Justice of Torture

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 20 10:52:21 PDT 2008

Exactly. In other times and places, torture WAS openly used primarily for purposes of punishment. (e.g. Dynastic China, Colonial New America, the pre-Civil War US South etc etc). I suspect that among some of its political advocates today there is the unspoken view that torture is necessary punishment (for purposes of deterance). In our day and age, where appearances are everything, no one dares say so openly. SR

-------------- Original message -------------- From: Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>

Torture is _not_ primarily a