[lbo-talk] Example of Progressive Europe's Challenge to U.S. Hegemony

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 21 04:22:30 PDT 2008

For our friends Dennis and Wotjek:

"Kurnaz alleges that, while in American detention in Kandahar, German soldiers were allowed to interrogate him.[21] According to an article by the United Press International Kurnaz picked out the picture of his interrogator from 60 photos he was shown of members of the German military's elite KSK unit. Deutsche Welle and Reuters report Kurnaz was shown 48 photos of members of the KSK unit, only 14 of whom were in Kandahar in January 2002, the time of the alleged abuse.[22][23][24]

Kurnaz alleges the soldier grabbed him by hair and smashed his head into the ground.[21][22][23] The International Herald Tribune reports that, in addition, the soldiers kicked Kurnaz.[25] UPI reports that the soldiers are accused of "aggravated assault". Deutsche Welle and Reuters quoted German prosecutors, stating: "Both suspects are accused of grievous bodily harm while on duty," According to Kurnaz the men wore German uniforms, and spoke German with him:

"They asked me if I knew who they were and then they said, 'We are the KSK,' I thought they would have some questions and that they could help me, but they told me I had chosen the wrong side,"

The German Ministry of Defense had, initially, denied that the KSK was in Afghanistan at that time.[21][22][23] But they now acknowledge that the KSK was in Kandahar, and had contact with Kurnaz, after interviewing members of the KSK.

A German Parliamentary inquiry is investigating the extent to which German military and counter-terrorism authorities took advantage of the American extraordinary rendition program.[21][22][23]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murat_Kurnaz

____________________________________________________________________________________ Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping