[lbo-talk] $100 million tip for Starbucks servers

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 22 02:06:59 PDT 2008

Do the Starbucks "shift supervisors" have the power to hire and/or fire? That's an important part of labor law that determines who's privy to what.

I know companies do all kinds of crazy, disingenuous shit with the job titles they award employees: assistant managers who are not assistants to managers any more so than regular employees, etc. This "up titling" can be a vacuous way to award employees without coughing up the dough or giving them any more power. And a lot of this fancy job titling seems like an attempt to be evasive and screw with labor law.

I'd be interested to know if shift supervisors could fire workers. If so, to hell with them, give the tips to the baristas under those supervisors' power. If they indeed are "bosses" like the article says, no way should they be taking subordinates' tips.

-B.

Steven L. Robinson wrote:

"$100 million tip for Starbucks servers | Judge says baristas shouldn't have to split take with bosses. | San Diego -- A San Diego judge ordered Starbucks to pour more than $100million into the accounts of its low-wage coffee-servers in California on Thursday after ruling that the company had improperly required the workers to share tips with their bosses."