[lbo-talk] Wash Po: McCain: "I learned from Keating 5 case"

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 23 10:04:42 PDT 2008

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/23/AR2008032300523.html

McCain: I Learned From Keating Five Case

By LARRY MARGASAK The Associated Press Sunday, March 23, 2008; 12:45 PM

WASHINGTON -- Sen. John McCain's ethics entanglement with a wealthy banker ultimately convicted of swindling investors was such a disturbing, formative experience in his political career that he compares the scandal in some ways to the five years he was tortured as a prisoner of war in Vietnam.

[...]

In his early days as a freshman senator, McCain was known for accepting contributions from Charles Keating Jr., flying to the banker's home in the Bahamas on company planes and taking up Keating's cause with U.S. financial regulators as they investigated him.

The Keating Five was the derisive name given McCain and four Democratic senators who were defendants in a congressional ethics investigation of their connections to Keating. McCain is the only one still in the Senate. They were accused of trying to intimidate regulators on behalf of Keating, a real estate developer in Arizona and owner of Lincoln Savings and Loan based in Irvine, Calif.

[...]