[lbo-talk] ABC news: 'Burned by the economy? Move back in with your parents'

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 23 14:18:28 PDT 2008

[At least this poor woman's parents are supportive. growing up, and even now, I know many people whose parents would never help them out, in any way shape or form. -B.]

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Economy/wireStory?id=4496064

Last Hope in a Weak Economy? Mom and Dad

AP Centerpiece: Economy Forces Some Children to Move Home With Parents _ Even in Middle Age

By EMILY FREDRIX The Associated Press

MILWAUKEE

After being laid off from her job as an events planner at an upscale resort, Jo Ann Bauer struggled financially. She worked at several lower-paying jobs, relocated to a new city and even declared bankruptcy.

Then in December, she finally accepted her parents' invitation to move into their home — at age 52. "I'm back living in the bedroom that I grew up in," she said.

Taking shelter with parents isn't uncommon for young people in their 20s, especially when the job market is poor. But now the slumping economy and the credit crunch are forcing some children to do so later in life — even in middle age.

[...]

"This is not like, 'OK, my son just graduated from college and needs to move back in' type of thing," she said. "These are 40- and 50-year-old children of my clients that they're helping out."

Parents "jeopardize their financial freedom by continuing to subsidize their children," said Karin Maloney Stifler, a financial planner in Hudson, Ohio, and a board member of the Financial Planning Association. "We have a hard time saying no as a culture to our children, and they keep asking for more."

Bauer's parents won't take rent money or let her help much with groceries. She's trying to save several hundred dollars a month for a house while working as a meetings coordinator.

Bauer would prefer to live on her own, but without her parents' help would "probably be renting again and trying to stick minimal money in the bank," she said.

Shirley Smith, 80, said she and her husband didn't hesitate when they invited Bauer to return to their home in Eden, Wis. Buying groceries for another person isn't stretching her budget too much, she said.

"I've got three kids and any of them can come home if they want," she said.

[...]