[lbo-talk] Jeremiah Wright or Wrong?

Peter Hart Ward pward at peterhartward.com
Sun Mar 23 19:18:06 PDT 2008

Actually I misspoke a bit; I should have said none of us are prepared to support him in any meaningful way--as to what that would entail, ask Mr. Wright what would help him.

However: I admit that none of us is Rupert Murdoch, but we are in a much stronger position with respect to the public than most. (E.g., I wouldn't know much about Israel-Palestine where it not for Norman Finkelstein, yet, despite his efficacy as a propagandist, I don't think he has any particular God-given advantage.) In fact, many on this list appear to have classrooms full of students to preach to.

With respect the the reverend's alleged "poor taste", I can't find much evidence that secular institutions are in any meaningful sense superior, except perhaps in the limited sense one party may in particular instances be better to vote for than the other, to overtly religious ones--take a look at liberal universities and their regard for, say, freedom of thought, e.g. At this point, it's pretty much all rotten--seems we've got to start with what we have to work with.