[lbo-talk] A quick lesson in Texas health care

Eric rayrena at realtime.net
Mon Mar 24 09:08:12 PDT 2008

>On Mar 23, 2008, at 11:34 PM, B. wrote:
>
>> I know you a lot of you love to dump on Texas and the
>> south whenever you can
>
>How wrong are we to do so?

No. It should even be encouraged. But the problem comes when northern superiority is posited (however silently) during the dumping process. And it very frequently is.

Of course, there are lines of superiority drawn within the South too. Austin, particularly, loves to proclaim how much better it is than Texas and the South. Last week, a water supply corporation in a small town close to Austin was having a meeting, and the manager posted notice for it on a state website. One of the items concerned, as he put it, "a holding pen for wetbacks," i.e., an ICE detention center. Naturally Austin's enlightened officials were all over that like stink on shit, calling for him to resign, expressing outrage at his racism, etc. Of course none of them said anything about the detention center itself. For Austin's liberals, it's okay to throw people into camps. Just don't call them a bad name when you do it. Many "Northern" criticisms of the South are like this too: calling out the racism and general idiocy of South*eners* while ignoring, excusing, or even embracing the racism and general idiocy of the US state.