[lbo-talk] Jeremiah Wright or Wrong?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Mar 24 14:19:07 PDT 2008

Charles Brown wrote:

> CB: This is true, but as shown by many years of protesting "racism"
> and "oppression of Black people", including for example, Wright's
> sermon's made available to a wide , White public , most White people
> don't respond to such raw criticism.

Of course not. That is why we can't make the fight against structural/instituional racism depend on "persuading" whites to be nice. It won't work. Rather we have to mobilzie forces that make the preservation of instituional racism so unpleasant (as the preservation of Jim Crow was so unpleasant) that forces among our enemies (e.g. Senator Dirksen, LBJ, etc.) will began to dismantle those institutions and structures no matter how racist most whites remain, and once those structures are badly damaged, the material grounds for racism will begin to dissolve and so will racism. It will probably take a lot of bloodshed.

CArrol