[lbo-talk] the Rev Wright

Michael McIntyre mcintyremichael at mac.com
Tue Mar 25 15:52:24 PDT 2008

Adolph Reed is almost always right, but I think he's wrong on this one. (1) Obama joined Trinity UCC a long time before he ran for office, and this mega-church was the smart place to be if you were organizing on the far south side. (2) Obama had a foot firmly planted in the left until 2004 or so. His 2002 opposition to the Iraq War was consistent with the rest of his record up to that time. See also Ali Abunimah's comments on Electronic Intifada on Obama's onetime support for Palestinians, including a photo of Barack & MIchelle having dinner with Edward & Mariam Said. Having a foot in the left cost him nothing in his state senate district or in the south side generally. (3) Obama's real change started when he lost the 2002 US House primary to the incumbent, Bobby Rush (former Black Panther Minister of Defense in Chicago, now a wholly owned subsidiary of AT&T). Being the candidate of Hyde Park liberals probably did cost him that race, and having been a member of Trinity UCC for 15+ years didn't help him. (4) Having lost the race for Harold Washington's old House seat, Obama had no future as a mayoral candidate in Chicago. His lucky break came when the Republican incumbent in the Senate, Peter Fitzgerald, stepped down after one term. Obama's disadvantages in IL-1 became advantages in the statewide Senate race. His luck held when the Republican nominee in the general election turned out to have a few kinky skeletons in his closet, skeletons disclosed in the divorce filings of his ex-wife, Jeri Ryan. So Obama made The Speech at the 2004 convention, won in a landslide, and remade himself as the Obama of today. (5) So why didn't Obama distance himself from Wright starting in 2004? Partly because any negative fallout was already unavoidable at that point. Partly because Jeremiah Wright isn't all that fiery a black nationalist. He's a minister in an overwhelmingly white denomination. Trinity UCC is a mostly middle-class black megachurch. Since arriving in Chicago in 1985, I've never heard anyone call Jeremiah Wright or Trinity UCC a purveyor of hatred. So I don't think Obama expected someone who's a very mainstream figure in black Chicago politics to be portrayed this way.

On the other hand, I think that, given her remarks today, Hillary Clinton's strategy is now crystal clear. She knows she can't win the nomination. She plans to burn Obama so that he loses the general election badly; then she plans to run again in 2012. I guess that does make her the more evil of the twins.

Michael McIntyre