[lbo-talk] "pointing finger of the neighbourhood"

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Mar 25 20:04:07 PDT 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Mar 25, 2008, at 4:20 PM, Carrol Cox wrote:
>

>>Whatever social order follows ours is almost certainly one in which
>>none
>>of us would very much like to live in. That criterion is itself
>>foolishly utopian, a mere extension of likes & dislikes grounded in a
>>given set of social relations. That Albert d Hahnel seek to defend
>>their
>>project on this basis is itself a more profound condemnation of their
>>project than that offered by the critics they are answering.
>

> Ok, lemme see if I've got the capsule version of Cox thought. The
> future bears no relation to the present. Most of us wouldn't like to
> live there anyway. And nothing we can do or say can hasten its
> arrival. I'd say that you make revolutionary politics sound somewhere
> between tedious and repulsive, but of course that doesn't matter
> either. Why fucking bother?
>
> Doug

Doug,

You're underestimating the profound transformations in social relations and what is considered "natural" in different societies at different points in history. Yes, it is inevitable that what we consider necessary and natural in our society will be considered an arbitrary, shortsighted social convention in some future human society.

For me, that's not depressing; it's inspiring.

Miles