[lbo-talk] the Rev Wright

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Wed Mar 26 06:05:27 PDT 2008

I just asked Adolph Reed, who lived in Chicago at the time and watched Obama's rise up close, why a man who, as David Gergen put it on CNN the other night "doesn't have a radical bone in his body," buddied up to a fiery black nationalist preacher. Adolph said that Obama probably planned to run for mayor of Chicago, and needed to broaden his support beyond his base among Hyde Park liberals and the foundation world, so joining Wright's church would help. It's the only explanation I've heard that makes any sense.

Doug