[lbo-talk] "pointing finger of the neighbourhood"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Mar 26 07:51:43 PDT 2008

shag wrote:

> people cling to it because history is not the product of autonomous,
> self-directed individuals. :)

Very good. We don't have much of a guide as to how to break through this (and as a personal observation I really doubt we will succeed*), the best so far being offered in the Third & Eleventh Theses on Feuerbach, which together encapsulate how change has occurred in the past and will in the future. (I see Thesis 11 as primarily an epistemological claim.)

Carrol

*Michael has quoted poor Matthew** at his best, but even at his near wost he has something to offer:

Charge once more, then, and be dumb! Let the victors, when they come, When the forts of folly fall, Find thy body by the wall!

**"Poor" because for over a century his progeny have consistently both denied and bad-mouthed thier sire (e.g., T. S. Eliot, Harold Bloom, Doublas Henwood).