[lbo-talk] turn off that TV and go to work for Ralph!

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Wed Mar 26 12:59:28 PDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 01:38:07PM -0700, dredmond at efn.org wrote:

> Contemporary videogame culture is stupendously subversive. Leading
> franchises like Half Life, Grand Theft Auto, Max Payne, Metal Gear Solid,
> and Final Fantasy are creating tremendous works of art, which both
> entertain, critique neoliberalism, and teach about alternatives in
> profoundly progressive ways, all at the same time. Like any culture
> industry, gaming has its share of dross, but game artists are achieving
> things unimaginable in any other medium right now.

True, but on the other hand, there is Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter. Pesky Mexican Latin American rebels are resisting the US & Canada's Joint American Security Treaty which would cede Latin/Central American foreign policy to US/Canadian control. The rebels need to be put down by the Ghost Recon soldiers who go in unofficially and fight along side Mexican "loyalists".

Also the recent Call of Duty: Modern Warfare game is very pro-Britain and pro-US.

However, the plots of both those games portrays geopolitics as far more complicated - by orders of magnitude - than as done by film or tv.

GRAW is one of the best tactical first-person shooters though I've ever played.

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 yahoo msg: beyondzero123 http://blogdayafternoon.com

In small proportions we just beauties see, And in short measures life may perfect be.

-Ben Jonson