[lbo-talk] - no mention of new taxes

Paul Papadeas papadeas13 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 13:15:21 PDT 2008

I'm wondering - there is a lot of talk of:

1) enforcement and stronger regulations - to the point of creating a new broad oversight committee/integrating agencies and rehauling the entire infrastructure - are we looking at a new Homeland Security Dept of Finance?

2) $30 bill seems like peanuts compared to the billions spent on defense - and all this does is help people to bounce back up to a break even point - it doesn't address the structural issues inherent in the capitalist system - is it real social democratic reform at the least?

3) Obama seems to focus on a "criminal law" perspective on financial predatory practices - but who will enforce, who will be entrusted to partake in the oversight, how will this be structured, how could it be undermined and more importantly where is this money going to come from?

Overall - Obama is saying, no new taxes ever on the middle class and/or the rich (of course - as they fund his campaign). We're just going to move some loose money around to help the poor and low income get back on their feet again so that they can compete in the market economy. Moreover, he'll just show his allegience to the grassroots by partaking in aimless and ineffective "investigations" more than likely leading nowhere.

No mention of the war exhausting resources and leading to the cut in services, no talk of stopping the existing tax cuts - he seems to want his cake and to eat it too. Dems want everything! They think it is all possible.

BTW: Wasn't the Financial Modernization Act of 1999 passed by Clinton?

- Paul

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

On Mar 27, 2008, at 2:46 PM, Paul Papadeas wrote:
> (Would like to hear everyone's analysis of O and HRC economic
> plans. There is no policy on cutting military spending,
> implementing any new taxes,, and no mention as to how they would go
> about funding these programs).

Just reading through Obama's

.

Pretty thin soup, I'd say. I'm sure Max Sawicky can tell us why there's more here than meets the eye.