[lbo-talk] chronicles of idiocy: 624787

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 28 05:12:57 PDT 2008

[from Mike Allen's Politico Playbook]

DRIVING THE DAY: This morning, John McCain 2008 will release the first television ad of the general election, to run statewide in the November battleground of NEW MEXICO. The 60-second ad is entitled '624787' - his Navy serial number.

The narrator is Powers Boothe, best known for his work in 'Deadwood' and 'Red Dawn.' The script:

John McCain: 'Keep that faith. Keep your courage. Stick together. Stay strong. Do not yield. Stand up. We're Americans. And we'll never surrender.'

Announcer: 'What must a president believe about us? About America? That she is worth protecting? That liberty is priceless? Our people, honorable? Our future, prosperous, remarkable and free? And, what must we believe about that president? What does he think? Where has he been? Has he walked the walk?'

Interviewer: 'What is your rank?'

John McCain: 'Lt. Commander in the Navy.'

Interviewer: 'And your official number?'

John McCain: '624787.'

Announcer: 'John McCain. The American president Americans have been waiting for.'

John McCain: 'I'm John McCain and I approve this message.'