[lbo-talk] where have all the antiwar songs gone?

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Mar 29 20:00:17 PDT 2008

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008, andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> from the antinuclear, anti-intervention (e.g., Central America), or
> other issue movements of the 1980s or since. I don't mean there are no
> good songs, just nothing canonical, universal, instantly recognizable,
> and usable at a march or demo.

There were great political songs in early 80s -- by the Clash, the Gang of Four, Public Enemy -- that everybody knew and recognized and that most of us can still sing along with today. They just weren't crowd sing-along songs. Basically folk's the only music you can do that with. So when folk stopped being popular there were no new songs like that.

To be fair, they weren't new in the sixties either. The songs you cite were all written in the 40s, the 30s and the 19th century.

Michael