[lbo-talk] where have all the antiwar songs gone?

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 30 13:00:42 PDT 2008

I don't think the original point of the discussion was if there are antiwar songs. We all know there are; I certainly do.

I mean, there are songs that go further and challenge capitalist imperialism itself. In some genres the antiwar stuff is so timeworn it's gotten to be stale.

The point was that none had singalong appeal at demos, or something. As much as I would like for a big crowd of hundreds to sing, say, Swedish d-beat hardcore band's "Fight Back Capitalism," or MDC's "Business on Parade," it's a lot less likely than something by Billy Bragg. The antiwar songs are there in spades and have been for a few decades; that shouldn't even be a point of debate. I think it was mass appeal or something, like the old IWW red songbook, that was the source of the lament.

-B.