[lbo-talk] First Unionized Hospital in Texas

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 14:21:50 PDT 2008

Yeah, the CNA recently pulled some astoundingly fucked up shit in Ohio. Very, very, very disappointing for what was once at least a very principled left-leaning craft union. I hate to say it but I have a feeling that a very, very ugly and drawn-out war between seiu and the cna has begun, and its going to get BAD. Which is depressing enough to obliterate any hope I was nourishing last year about the prospects for new gains in industrial unionism in the private-sector healthcare industry. I wish I had more contacts inside the CNA to get a sense of what internal dynamics have driven them to some of the lows they're reaching as they raid other unions campaigns. Maybe the strain of taking their program nationwide has put some unsavory characters in new positions of power in their organizing department or something. really, I predict a war between seiu and the cna that makes seiu's tiffs with afscme seem like the height of trade union solidarity.

Ugly times ahead in the union movement in healthcare, people.