[lbo-talk] First Unionized Hospital in Texas

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Mar 30 18:03:28 PDT 2008

On Mar 30, 2008, at 3:08 PM, Mark Rickling wrote:
> -- No word about CNA's "back room deal" with Tenet that governed this
> election?
> -- No critique of the secret negotiations between CNA head Rose Ann
> Demoro
> and Tenet's CEO Trevor Fetter which excluded rank and file Tenet
> workers at
> Cypress Fairbanks?
> -- Why were CNA organizers given exclusive access to break rooms
> and other
> areas inside the hospital to talk to workers, while other unions
> were not?
> Why was CNA the only union on the ballot? Was this a sellout
> "sweetheart"
> deal between CNA and Tenet?
> -- In other words, no mention of the rank hypocrisy displayed by
> CNA, which
> criticizes other unions for signing election agreements with the
> boss, but
> feels free to sign such agreements in secret?

Sometimes I think both sides should just go to their rooms for a time out. But short of that, what's your source on this? The only people I've heard make such claims about CNA are SEIU people; the claims about SEIU have been made by internal dissidents, including the leader of a large local who's about to be trusteed. Are there CNA dissidents? I'm not saying they don't exist - I just haven't heard of any. Have you?

Doug