[lbo-talk] where have all the anti-war songs gone

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 30 21:17:07 PDT 2008

Bob Dylan plagirised for as 'God's on
> our side' after hearing the Clancy brothers singing
> the original - Behan's is a lot less obvious than
> Dylan's).

Bad artists borrow, good artists steal, paraphrase of TS Eliot. All this music is recycled.

>The despicable Seeger's Little Boxes (I
> know he did not write it)

Malvina Reynolds did. Too bad you don't like Pete. Despicable? Because he was a CPer? Pete's done more to keep the torch burning for now almost 80 years than practically anyone I can think of.

and as for paving paradise
> and putting up a parking lot, it sounds like a
> better idea than listening to that again.

Joni Mitchell, a great artist, is only incidentally a protest singer, or writer of protest songs. That one isn't a crowd singalong unless the crowd has four octave range, like Joni Mitchell.

Not everyone likes this stuff. I really don't listen to Pete's protest songs anymore, though I still sometimes listen to Woodie Guthrie. Doug would rather cut off his ewars than listen to Joni Mitchell, which is still desert island music for me, along with Dylan.

But really the artistic merits of these songs or the moral character of their creators (Dylan's by all accounts a personally jerk, and was even when he was writing protest songs; Pete's a sweetie but he was polically stone blind for a long time) is beside the point. The thing is, there was a genre of songs that worked to unify people in mass collective action, and it no longer generates new material. And that's a serious loss.