[lbo-talk] Seeger clarification

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Mar 31 02:07:21 PDT 2008

An Die asks whether I really mean to call Pete Seeger 'Despicable'? No. I mis-typed. I meant that the song was despicable (which it is). Seeger, I think is a bit one-note, but by no means despicable. Dylan might have been beastly to those around him, but let's face it, they were a bit complacent. I do like Woody Guthrie, especially on the Gran' Coulee Dam (and of course the Big Rock Candy Mountain). Right now, the Arctic Monkey's 'Riot van' is pretty evocative for me, being sung in the Yorkshire accent and attitudes of my childhood. But perversely, my playlist is all environmental theme songs which make me laugh out loud - 'Mercy mercy me, oh the ecology'; 'Village Green Preservation Society'.