[lbo-talk] happy b'day lbo-talk (and Marxmail)

/ dave / a3n322 at gmail.com
Thu May 1 10:39:56 PDT 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On May 1, 2008, at 11:05 AM, B. wrote:
>> Marxmail and BO-Talk were both inaugurated on May Day?
>> Was that intentional...?
>
> BO? Yuck!
>
> Yes, it was intentional. Lou & I conceived the lists together, and
> went for a simultaneous launch on Mayday.

Yes, some of us save everything:

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: new list Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 20:22:01 -0400 From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Reply-To: bad at eserver.org To: Multiple recipients of BAD <bad at eserver.org>

I've started up a mailing l*st, LBO-talk. Details follow.

Apologies for the high tone, and the ban on tentacles. You had to experience one Thomas P Murray - aka Noor Khan, Liam Flynn, Tunguska, exoteric, L.V. Trahn, and Frank Simons - on the Spoons Marxism lists to understand.

Doug

Despite that sponsorship, I hope this list will be a forum for speaking across intellectual and social boundaries that have divided the left, such as it is, for too long. Among these oppositions I'd like to see worked through are ones like class/identity, cultural politics/"real" politics, Marxism/postmodernism, universal/particularist, economics/culture, theory/activism, nature/labor; nature/culture, and labor/culture.

Subscriptions are open, and posts go right to the list without approval. But stupidity, prolixity, dogmatism, bigotry, cheap disruptiveness, and false or multiple identities are not welcome, and will result in warning, suspension, or ejection.

(etc....)

The math for me works out to 182,000 posts read over the past 10 years; that's assuming a daily average of 50, as I generally can't read them all (and, reluctantly, have to confess a pronounced inability to parse Ted Winslow's posts when I'm running late for work)...

Somehow I managed to remain stuck in the same apartment throughout that time as well, and I blame LBO. Fortunately, I escaped two years ago into an already well-established home peopled by a fetching OB/GYN and her irresistable 2-year-old boy, now turned 4 -- and, LBO notwithstanding, we've managed to collaborate successfully on a soon-to-be named baby girl, due to arrive at the end of the month.

So, timewise, it's getting a bit dicey. But I shall persevere. Thank goodness I can read the posts on my mobile now and then.

--

/ dave /