[lbo-talk] Zimbabwe: UK's N Korea

Chris Sturr sturr at dollarsandsense.org
Sat May 3 14:30:20 PDT 2008

I am surprised that no one has responded to Peter Hart Ward's post about Zimbabwe. I don't feel qualified to respond in full, but I think Bill Fletcher, Jr.'s articles in Black Commentator (e.g. this one: http://www.blackcommentator.com/206/206_friends_tortured_zimbabwe_fletcher_ed_bd.html) are worth checking out. I don't see how the fact that "we need to focus on our own problems and fix them" rules out the need for the kind of international/regional solidarity that the South African dockworkers have shown for the people of Zimbabwe and for opponents of Mugabe, e.g. the Zimbabwe Congress of Trade Unions. And I don't understand the idea that "internal conditions can only be improved by the citizens not by outside pressure." Isn't international solidarity, and the resulting external pressure, crucial in cases like this? And what exactly is offensive, childish, and hypocritical about the petition that was posted here? But maybe I have misunderstood Peter's post.

In solidarity,

Chris Sturr