[lbo-talk] Adolph Reed's latest

Jenny Brown jbrown72073 at cs.com
Tue May 6 10:12:18 PDT 2008

Doug wrote:
> The [Obama] support is always at 110% enthusiasm, with grand claims of
> historical transformation should he win, or about the wonderful
> "movement" he's spawned that transcends a mere candidacy. Maybe
> you've had a different experience.

In my circle of comrades, friends and acquaintances: --I've run into 2 liberalish-libertarianish white men who will vote McCain before Hillary (they say) but support Obama for undefinable reasons (as in Michael's post). --White Republican brother-in-law who just early voted for Obama in the NC primary (because he likes him, not to sabotage Clinton). --A non-voting African-American friend is thinking about voting for Obama in the general election (he didn't vote in primary, never votes). --Feminist Clinton supporters (Black and white) who are irritated at male Obama supporters and think it's just sexism that they won't support Clinton. --Feminist Obama supporters (African American, mostly) who are irritated that sister feminists will vote Clinton simply cause she's a woman when they think Obama is marginally better on this or that issue. --A white radical comrade who runs around in an Obama t-shirt cause he likes him (undefinably, again) and wants to get discussions of the election started with people. --A liberal Black friend who voted Obama because why not, kind of the 'give the brother a chance' theory that Glen Ford was denouncing. He'll vote Democrat no matter what.

None of them are starry-eyed about Obama. The closest is a Filipina-American friend really, really liked his speech on race--but she voted Clinton. Most of them just want to see an end to the Bush years, with the exception of my non-voting friend who, while he has no use for Bush or McCain, is only thinking about voting because there's a viable Black candidate. Some (the feminist Obama supporters) refer to the youth support Obama has gotten as an indication that there's a possibility of more mobilization in the general election. Most just want the primary to be over so the campaign against McCain can start in earnest.

Jenny Brown