[lbo-talk] Adolph Reed's latest

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Tue May 6 13:19:56 PDT 2008

Dwayne Monroe

I urge caution.

It simply won't do to attribute questioning of Sen. Obama's program, message and campaign to crypto-racism. People have explained their reasons for focusing on the Senator from Illinois. ^^^^^ CB: The "reasons" aren't standing up to scrutiny, especially with no criticisms of C accompanying it. The "reasons" are , with time passing and therefore more time to think about them, vaccuous. especially all the nonsense out and out accusing O supporters of various "manias: and craziness. That stuff has long been unacceptable, to put it euphemistically. to persist in it in the face of having it pointed out agains and again, requires looking to other reasons to explain it. Eventually, objectively racist, unconsciously racist, structutrually racist is all that's left. Afterall, it is objectively , if not explicitly , in league with the Clintons' racist tactics. If you run with dogs, you are going to get flees, to give a non-elitist analogy. If you want to defend it, you'll have to come up with more than you say here, a better alternative explanation.

^^^^^

You don't accept those reasons. That's fine. ^^^^^ CB: I'm not just not accepting it. I;m analyzing and criticizing it.

It's not fine to keep on using terms like "Obamania" for people like Dyson , Ehrenreich, Alice Walker, Michael Moore and a growing list of mature, sober, intelligent, clearly not manaical leftist intellectual leaders who support Obama, Max , Julio, Joaquin on Marxmai, others here and there.

Not to mention 9 out of 10 Black voters ! 9 out of ten Black _women_ voters !Conyers. Hispanic leaders like Richardson. Marshall Sahlins said a favorable word about O to me.

This is amounting to overwhelming evidence that O has a lot more than manaical or irrationally exuberant support. What gives ? One doesn't have to agree with O supporters, but in the face of all this it's not "fine" to continue this "their crazy" line .

^^^^^^^ The world will continue on course towards whatever the future holds.

^^^ CB: That's hard to disagree with.

^^^^

But such inflammatory accusations are unnecessary and destructive.

^^^^^ CB: Sometimes you gotta fight fire with fire, brother, call a spade a spade. What we do around here is political criticism.