[lbo-talk] Obama: let my Teamsters go!

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Tue May 6 20:12:00 PDT 2008

It was clearly an attempt to neutralize modes of labor militancy, but at the same time, it was translated into real gains for the movement. The real problem is that the majority of the union movement officialdom refuses to let go of the 'labor peace' contract that capital has long abandoned. (Coincidentally, I'm not saying that there is an answer ready made to answer to the question, What is to be done, but the movement's officialdom has tended to say 'more of the same')

One question, I had gotten the impression that the Teamsters reform movement had gotten quite a boost from the federal intervention into the union and ironically had contributed to it being one of the most democratic unions until Hoffa jr leadership. To what extent is that true, or is it completely spurious?

One last note, I think the difference between the father and the son is that the father was able to negotiate good contracts whatever his numerous faults (probably due to the tactics learned from the trots), this cannot be said about the son...

robert wood