[lbo-talk] so much for the new coalition...

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Wed May 7 12:36:45 PDT 2008

Doug wrote:
> On May 7, 2008, at 3:17 PM, Marvin Gandall wrote:
>> Do you know how much the demographics have changed since then, in
>> terms of
>> the relative social weight of college graduates, Hispanics, and whites
>> lacking postsecondary education?
>
> In 4 years? Some, no doubt, but not enough to matter all that much.

Only somewhat related. At lunch I was reading the Gallup newsletter, which they send to folks who fill out Gallup's polls every month.

I found it kind of fascinating that, when they broke it out by age groups, the oldest gen sees themselves as mostly a moderate bunch: 46% id'd as mod as I recall. But this shrunk every four years by 3 or 4 points to where it's polarizing. A minority of people ID as a moderate, and choose either rep/dem or con/lib. That's from memory, and I'll correct later if I was wrong, but I find that a wee little bit heartening -- that fewer people ID as moderate.

Also, in the last elections cycles, was it the case that more people IDd as dem or dem leaning than republican? I don't recall that. This year, it's the case, with republican or republican leaning being a minority -- 37% or something.