[lbo-talk] US elections ( Michelle O, la belle)

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu May 8 06:26:27 PDT 2008

Actually, Lincoln was part of Congressional opposition to the Mexican War. His war on the South was based on establishing a common currency and keeping the Union intact so as to project American power abroad. The "end" of slavery was a by-product, and was followed, as Charles knows, by 100 years of apartheid.

Dennis

^^^^^^^ CB: Yea, as Herbert Aptheker used to say, in Lincoln's anti-war speech to Congress he said, "Show me the spot. Show me the spot on the map where the Mexican's invaded the US."

So, he was opposed to projecting American power abroad in the Mexican War, but in the Civil War he sought to keep the Union in tact in order to project American power abroad ? That seems precisely the contradictory hackiness yet non-hackiness that is at issue in the exchange with Robert Wood on Richardson.