[lbo-talk] split on the religious right?

jrdavis from_alamut at yahoo.com
Thu May 8 07:05:13 PDT 2008

There has always been a significant religious left in the USA. What the article is describing is a shift amonsts consersative evangelicals. There is a significant shift to left triggered by a growing concerning for enviromentalism (steawardship) which is divorcing many evangelicals from their right-wing leadership. An new religious movement amongst evangelical youth called "Emergence" is also a significant factor. Probaly the most widely read (by Chritstians and I would say its sales have outstripped most left single book publishing in the US) left-wing manifesto in years "Jesus for President" by Shane Claiborne was recent published by the usually conservative christian press Zondervan.