[lbo-talk] Ancient Chinese "secrets"

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu May 8 10:57:05 PDT 2008

A while ago we discussed "science" and materialist philosophy prior to and outside the Western Enlightenment.

Charles

^^^^^^^

China's eccentric champion Joseph Needham put Chinese science on the world map. By Marjorie Kehe

http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0506/p15s03-bogn.htm

Book editor Marjorie Kehe talks with author Simon Winchester.

"Four thousand years ago, when we couldn't even read, the Chinese knew all the absolutely useful things we boast about today," wrote French philosophe Voltaire in 1764. But if today in the West we widely acknowledge those words to be true, that's largely due to an Englishman.

More: http://lists.econ.utah.edu/pipermail/marxism/2008-May/027994.html