[lbo-talk] Adolph responds

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Thu May 8 14:29:54 PDT 2008

> [here's what Adolph Reed writes in reaction to Michael Pollak's claim
> that he was exaggerating.]
>
> I'm basing it partly on the speech he gave in Houston a few months
> ago, where he went on -- to a black audience -- about how "we" need
> to stop feeding our kids Popeye's chicken for breakfast, be better
> parents, etc etc. He's made less flamboyant versions of that move
> repeatedly, including in his 2004 Dem Convention speech. I suspect
> the defensive response is something like well it's true that some
> people do that, but I think that's at best a bullshit, Kool-Aid
> junkie's rationale or worse evidence of embrace of the same kind of
> class-driven behavioralist narrative about poverty, that nowadays
> often enough comes dressed up as race-conscious community "uplift."

well, what he says about getting a college education is not that a college education is what people deserve b/c they exist in a society where it's become the minimum for a decent job -- and even then plenty of people don't get a good paycheck, even with a degree.

what he says is, 'you can get a college education if you put out first. prove you deserve it, then we'll give it to you."

i think clinton says pretty much the same. but what is fascinating, to me, is that he emphasizes the bit about having topay for it first.

civil society conservatism is what it is. -- http://cleandraws.com Wear Clean Draws ('coz there's 5 million ways to kill a CEO)